At the Township of Assiginack, we are committed to collecting and using your personal information responsibly. The privacy and protection of your personal information is of utmost importance to us.
The Township is subject to the provisions of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA). M.F.IP.P.A. requires that a local government protect the privacy of an individual’s personal information that exists in its records and that it follow rules regarding the collection, retention, use, disclosure and disposal of personal information in its custody or control.
The Township endeavours to ensure that only required personal information is collected in accordance with authorized statues, by-laws, etc. and complies with the privacy provisions.
Most of the information accessible on the Township’s website doesn’t require you to provide personal information about yourself. You may access it anonymously. The only personally identifying information arising from your use of the Township of Assiginack website is what you voluntarily supply.
Why is Personal information collected?
The Township collects and retains personal information for a number of reasons:
• To process your requests for services, products or additional information;
• To communicate/contact you regarding services that you have requested;
• To advise you of changes to our services and of service interruptions;
• To meet legal and regulatory requirements;
• To maintain a payment history;
• To collect unpaid accounts;
• To establish, administer and maintain billing, payment and other services related to accounting as well as security measures concerning your business and client relationship with us.
What Information do we collect?
Depending on the purposes(s) for which we need to collect it, we may ask for the following personal information about you including but not limited to:
• basic identification information such as your name, address, telephone and fax numbers, e-mail address, birth date;
• medical information such as any condition that may affect your ability to participate in recreation activities, etc.;
• emergency contact information.
Who do we disclose your personal information to?
• We do not sell or rent your personal information. Sometimes we must share your personal information with others in order to serve your needs.
The following are some situations in which we share personal information:
• to companies contracted to process your requests;
• for law enforcement purposes;
• for purpose of acting in an emergency to facilitate contact with your next of kin if you become injured or ill.
How do we protect your personal information?
In order to protect your personal information, the Township of Assiginack:
• collects only the personal information needed to provided services;
• keeps your personal information only for as long as we need it to provide services;
• safeguards your personal information to the best of our ability;
• responds to any request you may make to access or correct the personal information we hold about you;
• obtains the appropriate consent from you for the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information.
Some other security methods/procedures include:
• the use of passwords for the protection of electronic information;
• firewalls for network security;
• standards relating to the storage of personal information;
• policies regarding the removal of records from the workplace, security of records in locked cabinets, briefcases, locking records in secure areas, etc.
• disposal of personal information in a confidential manner such as shredding; and
• procedures to address situations such as the loss, theft or inadvertent release of personal information.
In writing/person: Township of Assiginack, 156 Arthur Street, PO Box 238, Manitowaning, Ontario, P0P 1N0
For more information about the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, please visit the Ontario Information & Privacy Commission website at http://www.ipc.on.ca/