Welcome to Assiginack Waste Diversion Depot
The Assiginack Waste Diversion Depot is located at 72 Sucker Lake Road. To access the Waste Diversion Depot, ratepayers can pick-up a Site Pass at the Municipal Office (Monday through Friday, from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm).
Only residents of the Township of Assiginack are allowed to use the Assiginack Waste Diversion Depot. Please be reminded that the depot attendant may ask for proof of residency. If you have not already received your identification card, please drop by the Municipal Office to receive one free of charge.
Waste services available at the depot include blue box recycling, composting, and garbage disposal. Residents can also drop-off tires, metals (e.g., large appliances), and construction debris.
All Island communities share a single hazardous waste day, usually in July. The morning is dedicated to NEMI only. The afternoon to the rest of the municipalities, held at the Central Manitoulin depot. The event is widely advertised. It is the homeowner’s responsibility to hold onto their materials until then or to take the materials directly to a Sudbury and pay a fee.
Hours of Operation
Tuesday 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
Saturday 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
**Check with the Municipal Office for Holiday Hours (705) 859-3196.
Accepted Recycling Materials
- Corrugated Cardboard & Pizza Boxes – Flatten to a 30″ x 30″ size and remove all plastics. Do not include waxed cardboard.
- Boxboard (single layer cardboard) – cereal, shoe, detergent, cracker, toothpaste, paper rolls, etc. Remove plastic liners and flatten.
- Newspaper, Magazines, Catalogues & Junk Mail – Newspapers, inserts, flyers, magazines, catalogues, junk mail, telephone books and hard & soft covered books.
- Household Paper – writing/printer paper, envelopes, greeting cards, non-foil gift wrap, non-treated paper bags.
- Plastic Bottles, Jugs, Tubs, Pails, Trays, and Foam Packaging – Look for the #1, #2, #4, #5, and #6 recycling symbol to determine if the packaging item is recyclable. Exclude motor oil jugs, foam peanuts, foam insulation. Rinse all plastics.
- Plastic Bags – Grocery, bread, produce, and frozen vegetable bags, dry cleaning bags, outer wrapper for toilet tissue and other paper products. Remove paper receipts and place bags in one tied plastic bag.
- Clear & Coloured Glass Bottles & Jars – Rinse
- Milk & Juice Containers/Cartons – Juice boxes, packaged milk & soy beverages, wine packs, milk cartons. Remove straws and rinse.
- Egg Cartons – paper and foam egg cartons.
- Aluminum & Steel Cans, Aluminum Foil, Pie Plates and Trays – Food and beverage cans such as soda cans, vegetable cans. Rinse.
- Empty Paint Cans & Aerosol Cans – Ensure paint is empty and dry, remove lids from cans and recycle separately.
- Cardboard Cans – Remove plastic seal off cardboard cans and rinse.
DO NOT RECYCLE:
- Chip bags
- Styrofoam peanuts
- Bubble wrap
- ‘Crinkly’ plastic packaging such as pasta packages
- Motor oil containers
- Zipper-style plastic bags
- Broken glass
- Light bulbs
- Ceramic dishes and cups
- Food-contaminated foil
- Coat hangers
- Pots and pans
- Cereal/cracker box liners
- Plastic food wrap
- Disposable paper cups
- Wood or wood crates
- Potato, flour, sugar and pet food bags
Accepted Organics/Compost Materials
- Fruits & vegetables
- Egg shells
- Coffee grounds & tea bags
- Rice, beans, & pasta
- Meat & fish scraps
- Leaves, grass clippings, plants/flowers
- Dryer lint
- Microwave popcorn bags
- Paper coffee cups
- Sugar/flour/paper potato bags
- Paper towels/tissues
- Cotton balls
Additional Recycling Bins
- Electronics – computers, laptops, cables & cords, televisions, printers, telephones, etc.
- Pop cans
NO HAZARDOUS WASTE: batteries, paint, oil, fluorescent bulbs, or pesticides
- 1/2 ton truck: $20
- Trailer: $40
- Tandem: $150