REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL
To Be Held in the Council Chambers
Tuesday, April 16th, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.
Council’s Regular Meeting Agenda
a) Adoption of Agenda
b) Disclosure of Pecuniary Interest and General Nature Thereof
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
a) Regular Council Meeting of April 10, 2019
6. ACTION REQUIRED ITEMS
a) 2019 Draft Budget Review
7. INFORMATION ITEMS
9. CLOSED SESSION
THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWNSHIP OF ASSIGINACK
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR COUNCIL MEETING
The Regular Meeting of the Council of the Corporation of the Township of Assiginack was held in the Council Chambers on Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.
Present: Mayor Dave Ham
Councillor Hugh Moggy
Councillor Dave McDowell
Councillor Rob Maguire
Councillor Christianna Jones
Staff: Alton Hobbs, CAO, Deputy Clerk
Deb MacDonald, Treasurer
Ron Cooper, Public Works Superintendent
Dwayne Elliott, Fire Chief
#100-08-19 D. McDowell – H. Moggy
THAT the Regular Meeting of the Council of the Corporation of the Township of Assiginack be opened for business with a quorum of members present at 7:00 p.m., with Mayor Ham presiding in the Chair. CARRIED
#101-08-19 H. Moggy – D. McDowell
THAT the agenda for this meeting be accepted as presented. CARRIED
DISCLOSURE OF PECUNIARY INTEREST:
Council expressed its appreciation to the Events Co-ordinator, Jackie White on securing the Field of Dreams funding for ballfield improvements. Council recognizes the amount of work that went into the application and realize that the same effort has gone into applications that have not been successful. All of Jackie’s efforts are appreciated by Council.
The Public Works Superintendent gave a verbal report on a water main break that happened last Friday evening on Napier Street. He noted that Steve Wood and Walter Reid responded after hours and worked diligently to restore service to the affected area and to avoid the need for a water advisory. He thanked Larry Harasym of OCWA for overseeing the repair and again doing so in such a way that avoided an advisory. Finally he thanked our Treasurer, Deb MacDonald, for going above and beyond on her personal time to assist in filing the necessary reports and providing refreshments to the crew as they worked to complete the repairs. While it is always Staff’s responsibility to respond to emergency situations, too many times individual staff members quietly go beyond their duties in an effort to save the Municipality in the long run. Council agreed and thanked these Staff for their efforts.
ADOPTION OF MINUTES:
#102-08-19 D. McDowell – H. Moggy
THAT the Minutes of the Regular Council Meeting of April 10, 2019 be accepted. CARRIED
ACTION REQUIRED ITEMS:
2019 Annual Budget Review:
Council reviewed the draft 2019 Operating Budget with the Treasurer. The Treasurer summarized each department’s operating costs and detailed the changes from previous years. In addition, Council reviewed the Reserve and Reserve Fund positions, anticipated provincial and federal funding and changes in the assessment base.
Council reviewed all of the donations requested for 2019 to date and agreed to the listing found on Page 26 of the budget document.
The review took an hour and 10 minutes and at the end of the process, Staff asked that Council members bring forward capital requests to the Treasurer’s office and at the next meeting, Council would review 2019 capital needs and tax rate projections before finalizing the budget.
Specific questions and points made during the discussion are listed as follows:
• Water and Wastewater Arrears are to be presented to Council quarterly for review
• $324,000.00 One Time Special funding- to allocate to Economic Development Use or other uses?
• Council would like to see the particulars of the Main Street Revitalization Funding and know if it can be ‘stacked’ on other senior government funding.
• Staff is to review Canine and Feline Animal Control and is to tender with both as separately priced options later in 2019.
• Staff is to research a ‘Heavy Items’ Clean Up Week later this spring, including an RFP for Private waste haulers to bid on it.
• OCWA is invited to attend a future meeting to review Standard of Care Requirements for the water and wastewater systems.
• Council would like a price to re-side the east wall of the Roller Mills and retrieve as much of the siding in the water as possible.
• Explore the possibility of MLS listing of township owned properties, particularly if they have ‘vested’ with the Municipality.
• Staff is to forecast necessary capital improvements to Township buildings and determine if they must be done in 2019 or can be scheduled for 2020.
• Staff is instructed to review capital improvements to the waterfront, including but not limited to the retaining wall, beach sand recovery, run off mitigation etc.
• Council members are to bring the Treasurer a wish list of capital requests for costing and consideration.
#104-08-19 H. Moggy – D. McDowell
THAT we adjourn until the next regular meeting or call of the Chair. CARRIED
David Ham, MAYOR Alton Hobbs, CAO/DEPUTY CLERK
These Minutes have been circulated but are not considered Official until approved by Council.
Next Meeting: May 7, 2019 7:00 pm.